gaudialis: (Default)
[personal profile] gaudialis

Today, I visited McHugh Tea, my favorite tearoom in Houston, for lunch. I adore the place, and it seems they have modified their menu a bit, for the better. Tea-infused chicken! Need I say more? That's not why I'm writing this article, though.

After I finished my lunch and scones, as I was sipping my masala chai tea, I finally figured out why we should not stick our pinkie finger out while holding a teacup.

We've heard this for years. Real British aristocrats do not stick their pinkie fingers out when sipping tea.

The first reason for this is obvious: It looks ridiculous and insufferably pretentious. Second, sticking your pinkie finger out from the teacup serves no purpose. All it really does is make you think you look upper crust and fancy while you are failing miserably at the attempt.

This etiquette issue relates to the correct way of holding a teacup. It's all about physics, and I love learning the simple, everyday physics reasons behind ordinary things we all do.

Yes--when I first started loving afternoon tea, I didn't know there was a correct way to hold a teacup, either, but I've known the correct way for a while now. I just never made the connection between that and why it's wrong to stick one's pinkie finger out.

To properly hold a teacup, pinch your thumb and index finger as shown above against and inside the cup handle. Press your second finger against the bottom part of the handle and your index finger. Press your third finger against your second finger, to help support it and the cup and to provide stability to the second finger. Lastly, press your fourth (pinkie) finger against your third finger, to provide additional stability as you lift your cup to drink from it.

It is possible to drink tea from a teacup without support from the fourth finger, but having that support helps a lot, especially if your fingers are sweaty. The third and fourth fingers keep the teacup from slipping as it is being held.

Holding your teacup properly will enable you to look elegant while taking afternoon tea, while keeping you from looking pretentious and silly. No one wants that!

Profile

gaudialis: (Default)
gaudialis

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
4 56789 10
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Style Credit

Page generated Oct. 17th, 2026 02:58 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios